Saturday, August 6, 2011

Minneapolis

As I type this, I sit inside Water Park of America, America's biggest indoor water park, relieved (and icky hot!). My boy got busted by a lifeguard, not 30 seconds in these doors for jumping into the river intended only for innertubes. I wasn't scared for him - he's a very very strong swimmer and I watched him weave in and outta innertubes like a champ. I was TICKED - so TICKED at my child's (I'm sorry - I must say it -) stupidity! He'd better be glad we are in a loud, public place, and paid to be here. He gave meaning to the phrase "To Skin Alive".

Here's the best part: A big husky lifeguard saw the look on my face, chased Benny down with his whistle, and walked him back to me...I was so grateful, I could've mauled the lifeguard with love! ;-)

Right now, Benny is off chasin' waves and going down body slides and tube slides and lovin' life. He must check in with me every ten minutes or thereabouts. Destiny and Buck are tubing and waving and having a grand time.

Forgive the absence of Water Park pictures!

Yesterday we spent the day at Nickelodeon Universe and Sea Life. As a little girl, I drempt of the Mall of America. My gosh, rides inside of the biggest mall in America?!

It was more fabulous in real life than I ever could have imagined!!!

I didn't really get to experience the mall, because the attractions were the big bait for the kids, but I threw some thoughts unto my Grandma Mildred, the biggest mall-walker ever...

I, personally, LOVE the Swings!

Desty and I met Dora and Boots. She was so excited, she charged through the fence, interrupting another kids photo shoot! LOLOL It was truly hilarious! I could tell the staff is used to Dora-crazed tots, and gently guided her to the line. (Sometimes, it works to our advantage that everyone mistakes her for a three year old ;-). She was so determined to find out how Dora made her watch, and why she wouldn't talk. I was a little too comfy nestled in Boots soft bosom! - I really wanted to close my eyes and drift...



So! Yes, we had a lot of fun, and made priceless memories. I would not do anything like Nickelodeon Universe again without 2-10 more hands though. I really wanted to ride Orange Streak Coaster with Benny - his first mildly big roller coaster. The staff insisted I needed a "chaperone" on with me "just in case the ride breaks - someone to carry her down". Hello! There are no stairs up there - really people - no one would be able to carry ANYONE down if it stopped. Desty was two inches too short to ride, even supervised, but they were going to make an exception and allow her to ride so that I'd have my "chaperone" on the train. I, of course, refused...there's no way in hell I'd put my daughter on that ride, especially breaking the size requirements, so Desty and I agreed to sulk together while the boys went on it. Benny is over the height to ride alone, but I wanted someone to share in his special moment. The train returned without mechanical problems, with Benny screaming to ride again.

It is hard to keep track of Desty anywhere, as she is a wanderer and lacks safety awareness oftentimes (part of her disability). When you have Benny yelling/begging to go to the thrill rides, and you have Destiny, who runs for every tiny tot quarter ride type thing and walking characters, you've got high blood pressure. Not to mention restroom breaks, water breaks, meal breaks, and it's to loud for mom to communicate, etc. It was fun, but really difficult for Buck and I to manage. Wow! Next time, we take a small army!

I just saw my daughter bodyboarding on Cascade Fall Flowrider!! Oh my gosh! The lifeguard got her on the wave and the water carried her up and down the wave. She LOVED it!! She would've been stuck like that forever though. The Flowrider guard swept in with such grace, gave her her own little swervy ride, worthy of applause, and truly made Dest feel like a star.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Julie Aird said...

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE HAVING SO MUCH FUN! IT IS SO GREAT YOU CAN EXPERIENCE THE LITTLE APPLE. WE FELL IN LOVE IN MINNEAPOLIS AND LOVE THE CITY. NOW YOU KNOW WHY

Destiny Ann said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Yes, I LOVE Minneapolis! I really really LOVE that city, Julie & Lowell! I'd like to spend a week or two being a tourist in Minnesota/St. Paul. It's not what I expected coming from the MN north woods! So much to experience and take in. now I'm sad to come home! We are in Faribault, MN tonight. We're headed to Iowa tomorrow and Nebraska, which I'm really excited about because it's my first time through both. I wanna see Omaha. From here on out, we don't know anyone along the way to stay with, so we hafta speed it up...